Did you know that Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day? It was and still is common that the graves of these American heroes are decorated in an American flag each year on this day. 'Decoration Day' originated after the Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers that lost their lives in the war. Today, now more commonly known as memorial day, it honors all Americans who have died while in the military service.
In honor of the more historically known name, we will be looking at some ways to decorate yourself on this American holiday for our fallen heroes!
In this look, don't be afraid to mix patterns and play with texture! The deep reds and blues compliment each other no matter what print. To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
American Flag Infinity Scarf $14.95
Just in the Knit of Time Shorts in Maroon $29.95
Want You To Stay Stripe Top in Navy and Ivory $29.95
This look is the perfect combination of sweet and edgy! To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Silver and Black Dangle Earrings $14.95
Hubba Bubba Charcoal Crystal Bubble Necklace $12.95
Aztec Beaded Headbands $11.95
Color My Soul Sleeveless Collared Top in Red $14.95
Cross My Heart Denim Shorts $26.95
You can't ever go wrong with a classic denim top! This look is classic meets country chic! To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Red and Gold Chevron Hoop Earrings $9.95
Red Beaded Necklace with Fancy Crystal Cross $24.95
Stack of Three Red Chevron Bangles $12.95
Dainty Denim Pearl Snap Shirt $48.95
Lace Getaway Lace Shorts in Ivory $29.95
This look is G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S and classy with lace and pearls! The bright red and blue keeps it young and bold even in lace and pearls. To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Multiple Strands of White Pearls with Bow Bracelet $9.95
Lace Play A Game Royal Blue Lace Pants $26.95
Today Was A Fairytale Red Off Shoulder Top $26.95
With this off the shoulders dress you are sure to look sassy and proud to be an American! To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Give Your Heart A Break Royal Blue Off The Shoulder Dress $32.95
Beaded Headbands in Over 40 Designs %11.95
Silver and Clear Crystal Bangles $16.95
7 Strands of Bright Red Beaded Necklace $19.95
Presidio Red and Royal Blue Square Earrings $29.95
This look is totally Army Brat! We think it's so cute to tuck in any top to those adorable denim shorts! To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Camo Cadet with Black Rhinestone Cross $18.95
Live Free Flag Tee $36.95
Heart of Dixie Denim Shorts with Ivory Crotchet Trim $29.95
Are you PROUD to be an american? Because this look says you are! To get this look visit www.gugonline.com and purchase:
Chevron Crystal Bangles in Red, White and Blue $14.95
Miss America Flag Vest $24.95
Ruffle Me Up Tube Top in White $19.95-$22.95
Royal Blue Crystal Hoop Earrings $12.95
Girl Next Door Ruffle Shorts $29.95
Beaded Headbands in Over 40 Designs $11.95
You've got your outfit; now all you need is a special desert to bring to that Memorial Day Party!
1 - 16.5 oz package Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 - 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 - 8 oz container cool whip
Fruit for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare a mini muffin tin by lightly spraying it with cooking spray.
3. Roll Sugar cookie dough into 3/4" balls and drop 1 per mini muffin cup. (There is no need to spread the balls of dough in the muffin tin. They will rise and fall to make the perfect little cups for your filling.)
4. Bake for 6-7 minutes.
5. Remove for muffin tins and cool completely on a wire metal rack.
6. In a medium sized bowl whip the softened cream cheese.
7. Add the cool whip to the cream cheese and beat until nice and smooth.
8. Fill cookie cups with the mixture. You can do this by placing the mixture in Ziploc bag, cutting off the tip of the bag, and piping into the cookie cups. Or you can just use a knife to spread the mixture in the cookie cups.
9. Decorate with fruit.
- You can bake the cookie cups a day ahead of time, but I recommend not filling them until the day you are serving them because the cookie will get soft.